Blog Header

Blog Header
Now Servicing: Mesa, Gilbert, Apache Junction, Gold Canyon and San Tan Valley

Dog Walking Adventures in East Mesa

Let me set the scene for you:

New dog walking client is a Dalmatian.  She is used to being walked on a retractable leash and leading the pet parent to where ever she wants to go.  Sound familiar to anyone?  Dalmatians are stubborn breeds to begin with and let me tell you...this one has a stubborn streak in her that is unbelievable!  Imagine seeing a cute little blonde girl standing on the corner holding a leash stretched out as far as it could possibly be with a Dalmatian at the end of it stretching her head and in the sitting position determined not to go in the direction of the walker.  Pretty funny huh?  Imagine driving by 10 minutes later with the same scene on the sidewalk, not moving an inch.  Even funnier, huh?

This was the experience I had the first time Shanti and I ever walked together.  This happened a couple more times before I explained what was going on to mom.  Mom thought it was hilarious!  As I'm sure most people would.  However funny it is, it is also quite frustrating.  Here I am, trying to walk this dog because she is over weight and doesn't pay attention to mom when mom is trying to walk her and we waste so much time because Shanti doesn't want to go in the direction I am taking her.

Well, guess what Shanti.  I'm a stubborn mule as well and darn it...it's my way or no way!  After not getting very far with Shanti I asked mom if I could take her out of the neighborhood, away from where she is most comfortable, so I can at least attempt to train her on how to walk properly on a leash.  Mom agreed and thought it a good idea.

The next time Shanti and I went for a walk I put her in my car (which she LOVES, by the way) and we went to a park down the street.  Shanti had never been there before so she didn't know what to expect.  PERFECT!  Now is my time to show her what I expect from her.

Our first walk outside the neighborhood was like heaven!  She did so well and only sat down a couple of times and it wasn't for very long at all.  I was able to get her going in no time.  Now, after several visits to the new walking spot, Shanti has completely turned around.  We are walking together, side by side and she is so happy to see me when I get to her house.  

We will need a little more practice, but the next step...try walking in the neighborhood again.  What will happen?  Will she revert back to her old habits?  Or will she use what she has learned and walk appropriately?

Tune in for another update!

BTW - If you are looking for someone to exercise or train your dog how to behave appropriately on a leash, give us a call.  We LOVE challenges and are more than happy to lend a hand!  480-292-9735.


Update - Part II
Follow this link for part II of the story:

http://playtimepetcare.blogspot.com/2011/04/dog-walking-adventures-in-east-mesa.html